Club Coach: CanSkate
Oct 1, 2021 - Oct 3, 2021
All aspiring Skate Canada coaches begin NCCP training at the Learn to Skate level teaching Skate Canada’s flagship program, CanSkate. The coach pathway is represented below. CanSkate Coaches are eligible to coach the CanSkate Program.
- Must be a Skate Canada registrant
- Must be at least 16 years of age
- Must have passed one complete STAR 5 assessment
- If you do not meet this requirement, please contact Danielle Shaw - Section Course Administrator for further details on how to take the Club Coach: CanSkate course.
Prior to attending the CanSkate course, participants are asked to complete an online pre-course through Skate Canada’s eLearning site. This prepares candidates with a base level of knowledge leading into the course. The three-day CanSkate course introduces participants to the basics of coaching, which includes an introduction to Long Term Athlete Development, Teaching and Learning, Communication, Biomechanics, and all components of the CanSkate program. Throughout this course, candidates will partake in an interactive learning environment and will reflect on their experiences as a skater and how they can transition into a coach role. Based on the following learning objectives, the CanSkate course will prepare coaches to:
- Recognize factors that affect learning and relate to the Learn to Skate athlete
- Relate CanSkate skills to the four biomechanical principles introduced
- Evaluate CanSkate Skills- recognize errors and strategies to correct the error
- Identify all components of a CanSkate program and can lead a program with confidence
Online registration closes at 9:00 PM (SK) on Sunday, September 20th, 2021.